Friday, October 30, 2015

Ottawa junior high teacher pleads guilty to molesting student


An Ottawa junior high teacher who molested a 13-year-old student in his office and during an end-of-the-year school trip has pleaded guilty to sex crimes the girl kept secret for 15 years.

Phillip Nolan, 45, pleaded guilty Thursday to two counts of sexual interference and will be sentenced next year.

At the girl’s request, Crown prosecutor John Ramsay read her victim-impact statement to a packed Ottawa courtroom.

“At the time of the abuse, my emotional character changed significantly. I felt suddenly removed from my family and friends. I felt separated by a secret that I never wanted revealed, and I began to take an emotional distance from people,” she wrote.

She said she felt ashamed, blamed herself for the abuse, and guilty for not coming forward years ago.  (more...)

No comments:

Post a Comment