Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Convenient Catholics Strike Back

Cordelia, by William Frederick Yeames
Once again we observe the spectacle of pro-family advocates being discredited and marginalized by well-marketed big-wigs in the Catholic blogosphere and media. Gwen Landolt and Teresa Pierre endured their respective thrashings and continue to do excellent work in defense of the family. Hillary White of LifeSiteNews.com is the latest writer to grasp the homosexualist third-rail and has duly received her pummeling from the pens of poorly-formed Catholic™ pundits. I do not believe that the real issue here is deference to the Holy Father. As Anthony Esolen, with his usual eloquence, comments on the words of Dr. Johnson in his recent article “A Counterfeit Conscience”:
So why do we say we are “vexed,” or “offended,” or “outraged,” when we won’t be losing a minute of sleep? Why do we say we “stand beside” people who suffer oppression, when we don’t move an inch in their support? More: why do we seem to feel better about ourselves when we declare our vexation, or our solidarity with the oppressed?
Rather, I see it as a rationalization of an untenable victim ideology entrenched at Patheos. And as for Ms. White, Cordelia’s lines from Shakespeare’s King Lear seem apt:
“Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave
My heart into my mouth. I love your majesty
According to my bond; no more nor less.”

No comments:

Post a Comment