Saturday, November 17, 2018

St. Mike's Unmasked: I went to St. Michael’s College. I’m not surprised by the news

abuse bullying boys Catholic crime education sports

Bill Dunphy is a Toronto-based writer.

St. Michael’s College School is a storied, prestigious and expensive Toronto high school run by the Basilian Fathers, that produced hockey greats such as Dave Keon (my teenaged hero) and Frank Mahovlich; and Canadian basketball pioneers like the Rautins brothers, George and Leo.

It’s also my alma mater.

It’s the same all-boy, Roman Catholic private school where, we learned this week, a teenaged boy was allegedly sexually assaulted with an object while members of the football team held him down.

Where another student was bullied, assaulted and humiliated – in some form of water torture? – by members of the basketball team.

I don’t know the victims, but I can imagine they are somehow “other” – brown or black or gay or maybe just thoughtful.  (more...)


Related:



Keep'n it clean:


Did that trigger any St. Mike's alumni?

No comments:

Post a Comment