Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Canadian ‘progressives’ suffer bad case of war fever psychosis

 

Canada Ukraine arms trafficking warmongering finance neocolonialism imperialism geopolitics uniparty cannon fodder

Recently a University of Victoria professor accused me of advocating genocide because I asked the Green’s leader about Canada sending arms to fight Russia. Equally troubling, the community centre hosting Montréal’s anarchist book fair canceled a talk critical of Canada’s support for the NATO proxy war.

Last week I asked Green party co-leader Jonathan Pedneault if he supported Canada sending weapons to Ukraine while opposing peace negotiations. Since becoming Green co-leaders six months ago Elizabeth May and Pednault appear to have changed the party’s policy on backing arms transfers. Just before and after Russia’s illegal February 2022 invasion interim Green leader Amita Kupner released three statements that opposed sending weapons. But May and Pednault have (somewhat ambiguously) shifted gears, endorsing Canada’s more than $2 billion in arms transfers to fight Russia.

To clarify their position, I went to the launch of Pedneault’s bid to represent the ridding of Westmount-NDG in parliament. As I approached his byelection campaign office Pedneault was talking to someone outside. When he finished, I introduced myself. Recognizing my name, Pedneault walked away as I asked if he backed Canada donating arms to fight Russia. After repeatedly refusing to answer my question Pedneault said he wasn’t interested in my “pro-Russian activism”, “pro-Russian lies” and “pro-Russian propaganda”. (In a similar vein two weeks ago NDP leader Jagmeet Singh suggested I considered Putin a “hero” when I questioned him about the NDP supporting the US Empire.)  (more...)

Canadian ‘progressives’ suffer bad case of war fever psychosis



No comments:

Post a Comment