Thursday, June 4, 2015

a.nolen: Reflections pertinent to Ben Levin and the demons that beset him

St. Augustine gets the last word
One of the fun things about blogging is to see how readers respond to my posts. Lately, there’s been interest in my writing on narcissism with reference to the ongoing sex education/pedophile scandal around Benjamin Levin, Ontario’s one-time deputy education minister, as well as the 2002 scandal around S&M aficionado and *completely unqualified* weapons inspector, Harvey “Jack” McGeorge.

One of the fun things about blogging is to see how readers respond to my posts. Lately, there’s been interest in my writing on narcissism with reference to the ongoing sex education/pedophile scandal around Benjamin Levin, Ontario’s one-time deputy education minister, as well as the 2002 scandal around S&M aficionado and *completely unqualified* weapons inspector, Harvey “Jack” McGeorge.

It could be that these cases are just a very large number of unfortunate anomalies, however the sheer quantity of them suggests to me *it’s possible* that people with exploitable weaknesses are sought out for positions of influence. I’ll also point out just how rare some of these weaknesses are: alcohol dependence affects somewhere between 1.7-3.7% of the general population; gambling disorders affect something like 1% of the population; and pedophiles are something below 4%.

I’ve already written about why I suspect narcissists are recruited for the military and intelligence communities– their insecurities make them extraordinarily reliable for their controllers. I have no reason to believe that the compromised people involved in all of the cases I mentioned above are unusually ‘narcissistic’, however they all have shown behaviors which *suggest* addiction problems.

My question for this post is: Are people who suffer from addictions unusually controllable, like people who suffer from excessive narcissism? I’m going to try to answer that by looking at my own experiences and then by looking at what mental health professionals call “co-dependence”.  (more...)


The "toxic environment" is larger than just the TDSB. Consider the Ontario education establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment