A $4.25-million lawsuit filed against a former St. Charles College teacher, the Basilian Fathers of Toronto and the Diocese of Sault Ste. Marie has been settled.
A now 67-year-old man brought the case against the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Sault Ste. Marie, the Basilians and the now-deceased William Hodgson Marshall.
It dismissed without costs at a Superior Court of Justice pre-trial meeting.
Had the case not been settled, it would have started Monday at the Sudbury Courthouse, said Rob Talach of Beckett Litigation Lawyers in London, Ont.
"The family was involved," he said in an interview. "There was a lot of fatigue, psychological fatigue. It was resolved at the pre-trial."
Talach said the lawsuit was settled in the 67-year-old man's favour, but could not go into details due to a confidentiality condition.
Talach said Marshall had been convicted in 2011 of sexually abusing the victim.
"(Marshall) littered the province with bodies," said the lawyer. "There was no question it (sexual abuse) occurred ... What is a life that was deviated from its normal course worth?" (more...)
Perhaps mercifully, tuition was not granted for my attendance at Assumption High School, which had offered acceptance to me. The boys from my class that attended Assumption left after only one year and all ended up at the secular high school that I enrolled in -- and excelled. No-one wanted to talk about their experiences at Assumption. Catholic schools are not always the best choice, and the required fees not beneficial.