There are now double figures of former footballers claiming to have suffered sexual abuse from their coaches, according to Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor.
The players' union boss was speaking to Press Association Sport after Cheshire Police confirmed that 11 individuals have now contacted them as they expand their investigation into a coach's activities over a period of three decades from the 1970s onward.
Police have been re-investigating convicted paedophile Barry Bennell after ex-footballer Andy Woodward waived his anonymity from an earlier trial to tell The Guardian last week about his abuse by Bennell in the 1980s while he was at Crewe.
Woodward's harrowing account prompted another former Crewe player, Steve Walters, to tell The Guardian about his alleged abuse by Bennell on Tuesday, before former Tottenham and Liverpool star Paul Stewart told the Daily Mirror about his treatment by a different youth coach in the 1970s. (more...)
Football's sexual abuse victims into 'double figures,' according to PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor
Football paedophile scandal: 'Mr Crewe' Dario Gradi denies he knew his coach Barry Bennell was a child molester as the NSPCC says FIFTY people have called their abuse hotline