Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Gay rights activist Terry Bean hails dismissal of sex abuse case


EUGENE – Prominent gay activist Terry Bean no longer faces sex abuse charges because the alleged victim in the case failed to show, but also because of Bean's $225,000 offer to settle the case, prosecutors say.

Bean, however, hailed Tuesday's dismissal of the case against him and his ex-boyfriend as a triumph of justice.

"I have been silent for almost a year on the advice of my attorney, but while I am relieved that the charges against me have been dropped, this nightmare never should have even begun," Bean said in a prepared statement.

"I take some measure of comfort that the world now knows what I have always known – that I was falsely accused and completely innocent of every accusation that was made," he said.

Lane County Chief Deputy District Attorney Erik Hasselman said Bean's civil compromise offer had a significant impact on the case.

"I think this result offends justice," Hasselman said.  (more...)


No comments:

Post a Comment